Precision Time & Frequency Scientists/Engineers
£39,500 - £63,500 depending on experience
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire
Closing Date: 7 July 2019
want to deliver Quantum Sensing and precision Time and Frequency solutions for the UK armed forces?
Quantum Technologies and precise clocks could provide unprecedented levels of performance against previously undetectable targets and navigation in the absence of conventional GNSS.
We are looking for experts to join our team and help to make these technologies operate in the harsh, challenging environments that military vehicles and people operate in.
- How do you maintain a precision timing signal whilst being driven across bumpy
ground at high speed in a 40 tonne main battle tank?
- How would you distribute that timing signal to ensure all the military's clocks
We are looking for someone who has;
• Exisiting knowledge of precision timing technologies (eg atomic clocks) and/or Quantum systems (eg cold atom based sensing)
• A desire to apply their knowledge and expertise for the defence and security of the UK and it’s allies
• The enthusiasm to develop these technologies for exploitation by warfighters and security personnel
In this role you will;
• Be responsible for devising and leading elements of Dstl’s Quantum Technology research, including research performed by our academic and industrial partners
• Work with key stakeholders across the defence and security community
• Work closely with international partners in joint research initiatives
• Deliver clear and concise advice and guidance to senior military and scientific policy makers
• Provide mentoring and support to junior researchers
Challenges of the role
• Communicating the benefits of Quantum Technologies to front line users and policy makers
• Understanding the issues relating to integrating Quantum Technolgies into military systems and doctrines
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- Experience of leading research teams
- Experience of undertaking experimental work in the field of Atomic, Molecular and Optical (AMO) Physics
- Knowledge of precision time and frequency engineering and applications
- A publication record in a relevant field
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
If you’re passionate about helping to keep our nation safe, please visit: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi and search for the vacancy reference. Follow the instructions to apply.