The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
The High Energy Physics Group within the Laboratory for Particle Physics (LTP) at PSI is playing an active and visible role in the CMS experiment at CERN’s LHC. The group and its scientists are known for their outstanding knowhow and capabilities in silicon pixel detector technology from chip and sensor design to full integration. Particularly close cooperation exists with groups of ETH Zurich and University of Zurich.
Members of the group assume important roles in CMS physics analyses and collaborate closely with the Theory Group of LTP. Synergies exist also with the other groups within LTP, in particular with the Muon Physics Group and the involvement in the Mu3e experiment searching for charged lepton flavor violation.
In view of the upcoming retirement of the present group leader we are looking for a new
• Head of the High Energy Physics Group including responsibility for budget and personnel
• Representation of the group within PSI and towards CERN, CMS and other partners
• Development and realization of high performance pixel detector systems
• Coordination of the group’s activities in CMS data analyses
• Development of the group’s future projects beyond current activities
• Close cooperation with other groups at PSI and use of possible synergies
• Coordination of the group’s third party funding applications
• Support of the laboratories teaching activities
• PhD degree in experimental particle physics
• Postdoctoral experience and demonstrated leadership in high energy physics experiment design, construction, operation and data analysis
• Expert knowledge in silicon pixel detector design, construction, testing, and operation
• Experience with leading project teams and/or groups
• Experience with supervision of postdocs, students and teaching
• Approachable personality with good judgement for personnel management
• Organizational skills and ability to work in large and in small collaborations
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr Klaus Kirch, phone +41 56 310 32 78 or E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application online by 31 October 2019 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Group Leader (index no. 3202-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut
Human Resources Management,
5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland,