The CERN Theoretical Physics Department (CERN-TH) is seeking to fill several permanent research staff positions. We are looking for outstanding researchers with internationally recognised leadership in theoretical particle physics. The positions are devoted to full-time research. CERN-TH has substantial stable research funding at its disposal, systematically attracts a large number of top theorists on a range of positions, and has an active programme of visiting scientists and topical workshops.
- Develop research of outstanding scientific quality in areas of theoretical physics of relevance to the CERN Theory Department.
- Guide an active research group and mentor young researchers.
- Contribute to all aspects of the scientific environment of the Theory Department and to its management and strategic choices.
Experience and Competencies:
- Demonstrated excellence and leadership in physics research.
- High capacity for innovation and potential for making a significant medium to long-term contribution to the scientific programme of the Organization.
- Knowledge of theoretical particle physics
- Achieving results
- Solving problems
- Building relationships
- Working in teams
- Learning and sharing knowledge
- Communicating effectively
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships
- Leading with strength and credibility
- Good knowledge of English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts as well as the ability to write publications and official communications and to make oral presentations.
The recruitment procedure consists of a highly selective process and may involve scientific discussions with senior theoreticians, giving a seminar, as well as investigations by a dedicated Search Committee and the approval of the final nomination by the Director-General.
In order to review and evaluate your application optimally, the Search Committee will research your work independently. You are therefore not required to, but may choose to, submit the following in support of your application:
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 10 most important publications indicating where you have been a principal contributor or a co-author.
- A covering letter giving your research interests and plans.
- Up to three names of referees who may be contacted by the Search Committee.
- Our online application system is a commercial platform which only allows for alphanumeric values. Attachments may therefore provide you with a greater freedom of expression.
- Should you have any difficulties in applying through our system, please contact Elaine McGoogan (elaine.mcgooganatcern.ch).
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible and applications should normally reach us no later than 25 March 2019.
Contract type: indefinite duration
6-7-(8) (8636 -12 332 Swiss Francs per month)
Job reference: TH-SP-2019-1-IC