The LHCb experiment at CERN will host most of its readout electronics and all its IT infrastructure in a brand-new data-centre, which will be at the core of LHCb's data acquisition and control systems. This facility will operate 24/7 to serve the needs of one of the largest, most active scientific collaborations in the world.
As a system administrator, you will join a small dynamic team of system administrators and engineers. You will take an important part in the installation and commissioning of LHCb's computing hardware in a new 3.5 MW data-centre. Main activities will include:
- Apply and develop procedures for maintenance of equipment;
- Contribute to hardware procurement, order suitable equipment, participate in the drafting of specifications and in tendering processes;
- Implement and configure computing hardware, software;
- Monitor system performance and carry out diagnostics;
- Troubleshoot operating-system and hardware issues in collaboration with vendors and with service managers;
- Support, maintain and enhance computing hardware and software:
- Provide support (typically 2nd and 3rd-line, sometimes 1st-line expert support).
- Document installations and call-outs, and draft operational procedures.