At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join CERN to work on the metrology and alignment of accelerators components!
Our Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. The Survey, Mechatronics and Measurements (SMM) Group develops and maintains a centralized competence in Survey, Mechatronic systems, Test and Measurement as part of the EN Engineering Department which provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination. The ASG Section is responsible for the geodetic metrology of the accelerators and their associated beam transfer lines for the whole CERN site.
This activity includes:
- the quality controls and metrological works on the accelerator prototypes and components from their manufacture, to their assembly and calibration, when classical workshop metrology is inadequate,
- the alignment of various accelerator elements along the 63 km of beam lines,
- the "as built" measurements of equipment and buildings using laser scanner technology,
- research and development related to all these tasks for the existing and future machines,
- geodetic measurements and related developments.
The techniques used come from geodesy with some specific developments in order to achieve the high accuracy required. As our new survey engineer you will join a team that is in charge of the internal metrology and responsible of the alignment activities along the accelerators and transfer lines, together with the associated networks. Take part!
As a Survey engineer in the EN-SMM-ASG section, you will:
- Take the lead in the alignment of accelerators and/or experimental beam lines and ensure the maintenance of the related geodetic networks;
- Supervise and perform metrology measurements at all stages during assembly of accelerator components using laser trackers;
- Define in collaboration with the responsible physicists smoothing strategies for the re-alignment of accelerators or experimental lines;
- Define, prepare and perform high accuracy survey activities of accelerators components alignment using total station and CERN specific equipment and supervise the realisations of the field teams (including contractors);
- Take the responsibility for the data processing of the measurements performed in the framework of the alignment of the components, using a 3D least squares adjustment application;
- Prepare measurement reports and procedures, present the results on all the aspects of completed geodetic measurements and alignment activities;
- Manage and/or participate in research and development activities for the development of new high accuracy survey measurement techniques;
- Take the initiative to improve and optimise related survey procedures, methods and software.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Survey, Topography or Geodesy or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the domain of the accurate metrology and alignment of components (< 0.5 mm);
- Demonstrated experience with instruments and methods used in high accuracy metrology (laser tracking, …) ;
- Practical experience with least squares adjustment software and statistical analysis techniques for processing complex geodetic network measurements;
- Experience in team supervision and/or coordination of field survey activities;
- Initial experience in reading and interpreting mechanical drawings is an asset;
- Initial experience with gyro-theodolite and astronomical measurements will be highly appreciated.
- Alignment of very heavy objects.
- Geodesy and transformations between coordinate reference systems.
- Knowledge and application of high-precision survey methods and tools: in particular the use of digital photogrammetry and laser scanning.
- Use of high accuracy survey instruments including laser trackers, theodolites, total stations, optical and levelling measurement systems.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Building relationships: accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account; showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in one language and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 13.04.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-SMM-ASG-2020-52-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further