At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a talented software engineer, passionate about developing Web applications using state-of-the-art UX/UI technology? Do you enjoy designing scalable back-end systems for communication systems? Do you enjoy working on several layers of the software stack? Work with us to develop and evolve CERN’s advanced Network and Telecom infrastructure providing automation solutions for its effective management!
The Communication Systems (CS) Group is responsible for all aspects of network and telephony provision at CERN. We support a campus network (cabled and Wi-Fi) with over 50,000 connected devices, a 5Tb/s non-blocking switching fabric for a data centre with over 10,000 servers, more than 4,000 of which with 10Gb/s interfaces, and external connections including multiple trans-border 100Gb/s circuits. The Group also operates its own fixed telephony system (12000 lines), dedicated mobile telephony services (6500 subscriptions), a TETRA digital radio system (500 terminals) and a LoRaWAN network.
More information on the IT Department can be found at: http://cern.ch/it.
As a member of the Communication Tools (CT) Section in the CS Group, you will join a team of passionate software engineers in charge of the design, development and maintenance of the software suite used to model, configure, support and manage the CERN networks and telecom infrastructures.
Your main functions will include:
- Maintain and further develop the IT/CS Web interfaces used by all CERN users to request network/telephony changes.
- Together with the other members of the team, participate in the design and development of new modules for the internal IT/CS network and telecom management framework, such as network and IP telephony automation/provisioning.
- Promote and develop DevOps processes and tools to further increase the automation and the quality of the produced software.
- Propose and implement changes in our database model and network APIs in order to support service integration solutions in the CERN data centers.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computing, Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field.
The candidate should have demonstrated practical experience in several of the following areas:
- Development and maintenance of large software packages in Java.
- Software development life cycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control.
- Database design and working knowledge of SQL.
Experience in one or more of the following would be an asset:
- Services deployment within cloud-native environments (Docker / Kubernetes).
- Understanding of network concepts (TCP/IP addressing) and protocols (DNS, DHCP, etc…).
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: git and automated build, testing and packaging. Release management Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery frameworks such as GitLab. Agile methodologies like Scrum/Kanban, issue tracking systems like Jira.
- Architecture and design of ICT systems: design and implementation using REST-based APIs/microservices; Spring Boot framework. Design of state-of-the-art UX/UI interfaces. Integration with monitoring services (Grafana, InfluxDB).
- Design of databases/repositories: experience with relational databases (MySQL, Oracle) and schema modelling.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: customisation and configuration of existing software packages such as VoIP apps on mobile platforms.
- Solving problems: seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.03.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CS-CT-2020-13-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further