You will join:
- The IT Computing Facilities (CF) Group which is responsible for management and operation of the Computer Centre and associated Computing Facilities. This includes the procurement of servers and storage with related validation activities, as well as planning the needs of procurement and retirements. The Group also provides and supports tools for the automated operation of large scale computing facilities as well as an up-to-date hardware inventory for equipment installed.
- The Service Management Section (SM), is the team looking after all 'Service Management' activities for the IT Department and ensuring ITIL implementation with the commercial software ServiceNow.
More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.
As Software Engineer in the IT-CF-SM Section, you will become a technical reference for the 'Service Management at CERN', a joint service run by the two departments SMB and IT. You will also play a key role in maintaining a good relationship and communication between the IT department and CERN users, including the implementation and maintenance of the CERN Service Status Board (SSB).
Your main functions will include:
- Coordinate, implement and maintain Service Management processes in the CERN ITSM system (ServiceNow);
- Develop, document and deploy integrations to other systems;
- Take part in the day-to-day operational support, such as performance monitoring, diagnostic and resolution;
- Plan, test and document new releases;
- Contribute to standardization and automation of business workflows;
- Provide training and documentation to users.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with a modern ITSM tool and a very good understanding of ITIL or similar best-practices framework for Service Management;
- Practical knowledge of a software development life-cycle concept;
- Previous experience with relational databases and Web technology;
- Experience with User and service support;
- Previous experience working in an international environment would be an asset.
- Design of databases/repositories: very good understanding and experience with relational database technology.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: extensive knowledge of scripting languages, web services, software development processes and techniques.
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software: understanding of the concurrent lifecycle process of engineering in order to measure and improve quality of software.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: understanding the principles of incremental and logical integration of components in order to create operational services.
- Very good spoken and written English.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.03.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.