DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
DESY has a long tradition of synchrotron radiation experiments in a wide range of applications. With the 3rd generation source PETRA III, which became operational in 2009, it has become one of the leading centres in this field worldwide. The Powder Diffraction and Total Scattering beamline, P02.1, utilises the high-energy and high-brilliance of PETRA III to study both local and long-range structure of materials. The wide range of experiments that are possible at P02.1 include in situ crystallisation and variable temperature studies; operando studies of battery materials and catalysts; through to stress-strain measurements and simple high-throughput rapid access data collections under ambient conditions. Candidates for this position will have the opportunity to pursue their own research program, focussing on either powder diffraction or total scattering, and will also become part of the highly active P02.1 beamline user community, through assisting users to successfully perform state-of-the-art experiments.
- Work as part of a team to provide operational support for the beamline, with close collaboration with the international user community
- Develop and actively pursue own in-house research program in the field of powder diffraction or total scattering
- Contribute to the existing in-house research programs at the beamline
- Work with colleagues in promoting the beamline through conferences and training workshops
- PhD in chemistry, physics or equivalent field or qualification
- Experience of collecting data at a synchrotron source and working with beamline instrumentation
- Experience of analysing data from either total scattering or powder diffraction data experiments
- Experience with a technique such as in-situ catalytic or gas sorption studies, battery materials etc.
- Knowledge of Rietveld refinement or PDF fitting would be considered a strong asset
- Practical problem solving abilities
- An interest in software development (esp. using python) or in instrumentation would be an asset
For further information please contact Martin Etter, +49 40 8998 5648, email@example.com.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: Online Application
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: FSMA014/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: 040 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 2020/05/03