DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
DESY operates the world's brightest storage-ring-based hard X-ray radiation source: PETRA III offers scientists outstanding opportunities for experiments with X-rays of exceptionally high brilliance since 2009. In order to keep up with increasing demand for high brightness, DESY is currently undertaking to develop a diffraction-limited light source PETRA IV based on the multibend achromat lattice. The appropriate preparatory work has to be done over the next few years which will include a very challenging design of the magnet lattice and several beam dynamics issues related to collective effects. In this environment, DESY is also a part of the international team to develop the central design of Ultimate Source for Synchrotron Radiation (USSR). The core of the USSR is a 1.3 km diffraction-limited storage ring with an electron energy of 6 Ge V to be built in Protvino, Moscow region, the development of which will be led by Kutchatov institute in Russia together with ESRF in France, INFN in ltaly, and DESY in Germany. The design effort is funded by the European Union as a part of the CREMLINplus project, and we are seeking a highly motivated scientist to design the USSR storage ring. This is the 3-year fixed-term position stationed at DESY as a member of the PETRA IV accelerator physics team.
- Study the collective effects of diffraction-limited storage ring; the scope includes evaluating vacuum chamber impedances, beam-chamber interactions, and coherent instabilities
- Develop the numerical impedance model of the USSR storage ring including the geometric, resistive wall and rough surface impedance of the vacuum chamber
- Determine the beam intensity limit as well as beam parameters with intra-beam scattering and wakefield effects
- Collaborate with and travel to other institutes and laboratories involved in the design studies
- Ph.D. in physics or engineering science or equivalent qualification
- Experience in the application of electromagnetic computation, such as Gdfidl, CST Microwave Studio, and numerical simulation methods is desirable
- Experience with scientific software such as python, Matlab, Mathematica is desirable
- Ability to communicate research results in English, both orally and in writing, within the team, and at international conferences
For further information please contact Yong-Chul Chae 040-8998-1956.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-timework. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: www.desy.de/onlineapplication
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA012/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 30.04.2020