DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
The accelerator division has as its mission the design and operation of cutting edge accelerator facilities as well as accelerator R&D. To meet the challenges of data analysis and high level controls for the next generation facilities such as PETRA IV, we are looking to strengthen the accelerator physics team with a postdoctoral level data scientist, physicist or a software engineer (f/m/d) to work on Machine Learning (ML) and high level controls applications.
The position is associated with the Helmholtz AMALEA Innovation Project on Machine Learning, and the successful candidate will be involved in broad interactions with DESY High Energy Physics and the Photon Science Divisions as well as with other laboratories within the Helmholtz Association.
- Investigate the use of machine learning algorithms in accelerator physics and engineering
- Participate in the development of high level controls application and algorithms for next generation storage rings (PETRA IV)
- Participate in cross-disciplinary ML studies on the interface between accelerator physics, photon science and high energy physics
- Masters Degree or preferably a PhD in physics, engineering, mathematics or computer science or equivalent qualification
- Strong background in scientific computing or data science, ideally experience with Machine Learning tools and approaches
- Good programming skills are essential, preferably in Python and C++
- Background in accelerator physics, high energy physics or related field is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
For further information please contact Ilya Agapov via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-timework. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: www.desy.de/onlineapplication
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA027/2019
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled.