The mission of this position is to ensure the completion of ESF commitments, coordinate ESF’s scientific activities and contribute to the development of new projects.
The position will report to the Corporate Science Officer.
This position will involve:
▪ Implementing the ESF scientific instruments according to defined processes and deadlines, and other new ESF activities;
▪ Ensuring the smooth running / support of the Expert Boards and Committees and providing quality papers, minutes and reports in a timely manner;
▪ Overseeing and participating in the impartial implementation of scientific quality control, through the peer review process of proposals, responding to the relevant ESF Calls in this domain;
▪ Contributing to the development of new projects (Grant Evaluation, Career Tracking, EC Projects...) and related required scientific processes at the request of ESF management;
▪ Identifying peer review panel members, managing/coordinating peer review panels, following up peer review and evaluation missions;
▪ Drafting proposals in collaboration with the guidance from senior science staff and management, and ensuring compliance with European Commission and other international organisations contracts through full and timely reporting, in coordination with Administration and Finance and Human Resources departments;
▪ Publicising and informing the ESF community;
▪ Taking responsibility for the management and achievement/meeting of budgets for specific activities in compliance with ESF Financial Rules and Delegated Financial Authority and providing information necessary to Administration and Finance for the regular production of financial reports;
▪ Assisting the Corporate Science Officer, in communicating to her/his direct staff a clear vision, strategy and priorities of the ESF and how these affect their objectives. Motivating the team to seek challenges, reach strategic objectives and perform in line with, or beyond expectations;
▪ Contributing to promoting a climate of positive, trustful and respectful staff relations by encouraging communication and information-sharing, by resolving staff issues in a timely manner;
▪ Collaborating with the Corporate Science Officer of his/her direct staff performance in a professional manner, including the timely completion of performance appraisals, regular feedback, and appropriate action planning;
▪ Keeping up-to-date with relevant scientific and research policy developments.
▪ Undertaking other specific tasks at the request of the ESF Management.
The Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
Specific technical competencies:
▪ Ph.D or equivalent research experience, preferably with a further 5+ years’ research or science management experience in a relevant science area;
▪ Demonstrable experience of science management and coordination of scientific programmes;
▪ Demonstrable experience of peer reviewed processes;
▪ Demonstrable experience in scientific project management;
▪ Knowledge of European and national research structures and institutions, and of European and international science policy;
▪ Demonstrable experience in writing papers, reports, publications and presentations;
Basic knowledge and experience of people management in a performance-based human resources environment
▪ High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
▪ Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and websites. Specific personal competencies:
▪ Proven organisational skills and capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
▪ Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community;
▪ Assertive with ability to influence decision-making;
▪ Ability to create links and promote networking;
▪ Excellent communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
▪ Excellent presentational skills;
▪ Action-orientated and responsible;
▪ Creative, willing to take initiative, and continuously improvement-minded;
▪ Ability to work independently within the context of objectives set by the Head of Unit;
▪ Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
▪ Positive and constructive attitude.
▪ The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will start as soon as possible.
▪ The contract is offered for a duration of 2 years with possible extension.
▪ The person selected for the position will be working in Strasbourg head office.
▪ The position will involve significant travel.
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 15 March 2019
quoting the following reference SO2019
. Interviews will be held in Strasbourg on 4 April 2019
The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender (including in cases of pregnancy or maternity); age; ethnic, national or social origin; religion or belief; sexual orientation; disability; political opinion; social or economic condition or health.