Project Leader / Senior Project Leader
Granta Park, Cambridge
TWI is a world expert in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
The Thermal Processing Technologies team develops and delivers solutions for industry related to soldering and brazing, diffusion bonding, powder metallurgy and thermal treatments. Materials of interest include steels, titanium alloys, nickel base superalloys, ceramics and metal matrix composites (MMCs). We work with customers in the aerospace, oil & gas, geothermal energy, medical and conventional power generation sectors and are building new opportunities related to the automotive sector.
We are currently recruiting for a Project Leader. This role would suit a new or recent graduate and will involve bidding on and delivering a wide variety of technical projects ranging from blue-sky innovation projects to large publicly funded projects. This will require working in collaboration across the wider TWI business to achieve the project goals.
TWI manages and operates the National Structural Integrity Research Centre (NSIRC), a centre for postgraduate industry led study.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Operating a range of different facilities
• Process development for clients
• Managing project tasks efficiently to meet health & safety, quality and budget requirements.
• Supporting projects in the areas of soldering and brazing, diffusion bonding, powder metallurgy and thermal treatment
• Identifying opportunities to exploit joining technologies for electric vehicle applications
• Responding to technical enquiries from clients with clear, accurate, comprehensive information
• Visiting clients with more experienced colleagues and hosting client visits to TWI
• Mentoring, guidance and support to NSIRC postgraduate industrial research projects
• BSc/BEng and above qualification in a materials or engineering related subject.
• Knowledge of relevant materials related topics e.g. metallurgy, ceramics, thermal treatment
• Relevant practical experience would be appreciated but is not a requirement.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Intrinsically high level of motivation
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Strong documentation and writing skills
• Depending on depth of experience and background in the above technologies, we may appoint at a more senior level
The role requires regular travel within the UK and occasionally overseas
TWI offers a comprehensive training programme, incorporating both in-house and external courses to support the development of staff
Closing Date: 18th February 2019
Hours: Full time, 36 hours p/wk,
To find out more about TWI and our corporate culture please visit our website:
To apply, please click on the apply button above.