Context and summary
Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS) is the only institution in Québec (Canada) dedicated exclusively to graduate level university research and training. The influence of our faculty and students extends around the world. In partnership with the community and with industry, we are proud to contribute to the development of society through our discoveries and through the training of young scientists. INRS would like to fill a new faculty position in the area of plasma science and applications. The successful candidate will collaborate with the multidisciplinary research program at the INRS Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications Research Centre by bringing recognized expertise in experimental plasma physics applied to materials synthesis, characterization, and treatment.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Develop an original and innovative program of applied and fundamental research in plasma physics oriented preferably (but not exclusively) towards the following applications:
– Plasmas for the synthesis of thin film and nanomaterials relevant to various fields of application (catalysis, energy conversion, photonics, 3D printing, etc.);
– Plasmas for the treatment of organic and inorganic materials relevant to various fields of application (etching or nanostructuration of materials, modification of polymers, treatment or destruction of cells, restorative surgeries, etc.);
- Secure external funding from a variety of funding agencies, both provincial and federal, also involving various partners from the public and private sectors whenever needed/pertinent;
- Participate in teaching and training at the graduate level (both M.Sc. and Ph.D. students), as well as supervising post-doctoral fellows and research personnel.
- Doctorate in physics, chemistry, physical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science or related fields, with specialization in experimental plasmas or plasma-assisted processes;
- Have a thorough knowledge of plasma physics (atomic-scale mechanisms, properties of plasmas and sources, plasma diagnostics);
- Relevant postdoctoral research experience would be an asset;
- Strong scientific publishing record illustrating leadership and innovation;
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and networks as well as in collaboration with representatives of various agencies.
- Aptitude for basic and applied research, as well as multidisciplinary teaching and mentoring at the masters and doctorate levels;
- Entrepreneurial qualities and demonstrated ability to secure external research funding;
- Preference will be given to junior candidates. However, exceptional senior candidates will also be considered.
French is the official language at INRS. Fluency in English is required. Candidates whose native language is not French are encouraged to apply. The Centre will provide them with all the resources necessary to facilitate their learning of the French language.
Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)
Centre Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications 1650, boulevard Lionel-Boulet, Varennes (Québec) J3X 1S2 CANADA Varennes is located on the South Shore of Montreal.
In accordance with the collective agreement in effect at INRS.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their application including a complete curriculum vitae, a copy of their three most significant publications,a three-page summary of their research interests, a statement of teaching experience and philosophy, and the names and contact information of three referees, before October 31st 2019 indicating position number AP 18-05 by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to:
Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS) Centre Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications 1650, boulevard Lionel-Boulet, Varennes (Québec) J3X 1S2 CANADA