At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic mechanical technician interested in joining a team that develops and manufactures high-precision detectors for physics experiments? Take part!
You will join:
The Detector Technology group in the Experimental Physics department (EP-DT) participates in the development, construction and operation of particle detectors for experiments at CERN. This comprises LHC detector consolidation and upgrade projects as well as non-LHC activities. We operate a number of mechanical workshops, in which we develop prototype components and perform small volume series production. We deal with a large spectrum of materials, from metals and polymers to composites.
As a mechanical technician in the Detector Technology group’s Construction and Operation section (EP-DT-CO) your functions will include:
- Programming and use of CNC machine-tools; 3,4 and 5 axis
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts on conventional machines
- Participation to assembly of mechanical structures
- Collaboration with the EP-DT Engineering office in the design of new parts and assemblies
- Performing conventional dimensional metrology
- Participation to the development of new tooling and assembly procedures
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or a related field.
- Extensive experience in precise and standard machining of parts (metal and non-metal)
- Proven experience in programming and using computer numerical controlled machines (CNC). 3, 4 and 5 axis is mandatory
- Proven experience in use of CAD (2D and 3D) and CAM software
- Proven experience in application of conventional dimensional metrology
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Experience in precision mechanics adjustment and assembly
- Experience in polymers and composite materials
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts
- Programming and use of CNC machine-tools and machining centres
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models
- Precision assembly of mechanical structures and equipment
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions
Spoken and written English or French: basic knowledge of the other language would be an asset, or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.04.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation controlled areas, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Interventions in underground installations, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-DT-CO-2019-126-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further