The Max Planck Institute for Physics invites applications for two
Postdoctoral Research Physicists (m/f/d)
to carry out research on the AWAKE plasma acceleration experiment at CERN. AWAKE uses an alkali metal, laser-ionized plasma source as well as a number of optical diagnostics. The Max Planck Institute for Physics is opening two post-doctoral positions in experimental physics to lead the efforts towards the development and implementation of the next plasma source and to take over the laser system and the optical diagnostics.
The successful candidates will have lead roles in the next round of experiments extending over the next four years. They will work in a team embedded in the CERN environment and will supervise students at various levels.
The candidates are expected to:
• Have strong motivation and curiosity, and a strong sense of responsibility
• Be able to integrate and work in a team, while leading a specific scientific effort and contributing to the general experimental program
• Have hands-on experience in experimental physics, preferably in optics, optical diagnostics, and/or laser operation
• Be comfortable with general laboratory equipment and control systems
• Be able to lead a small experimental program
• Be able to effectively communicate both in oral and written English, especially towards the writing of scientific and technical manuscripts (French language skills is a plus at CERN)
The formal requirement for this position is a PhD in experimental physics. The successful candidates will be based at CERN and live in the Geneva area.
Salary and benefits are according to the German public service pay scale (TVöD Bund). The contract is initially limited to three years with the possibility of an extension. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Interested applicants should submit an application letter, a statement of research interests, a curriculum vitae, a list of publications, and arrange for three letters of support to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information can be obtained from Dr. Patric Muggli (Email:email@example.com
The call is open until the positions are filled.
Max-Planck-Institut für Physik
Föhringer Ring 6
The Max Planck Institute for Physics collects and stores personal data that you send for your application. Further information on the data collected can be found at https://www.mpp.mpg.de/en/studying-and-working/jobs/data-protection-statement-for-job-applications/