Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37831
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 280
Band Level: Postdoctoral Research Associate
Relocation: Domestic and International Relocation Assistance is available for this position
The Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) is the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. The SNS is part of the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), which also contains the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov
The Beam Science and Technology Group is seeking a strong physicist to maintain and develop the intellectual understanding of the SNS accelerator beam, required to sustain stable beam operations and to increase beam power while minimizing beam loss. This is an exciting opportunity to utilize the SNS accelerator to further the understanding of high intensity beam physics. In this role you will perform research on topics including (but not limited to) beam dynamics in the normal and the superconducting parts of the SNS linac, the SNS accumulator ring and transport lines, and the Beam Test Facility (BTF). You will conceive and pursue beam-based experiments, and develop analytical and computer models to simulate and understand beam effects. You will actively participate in the team’s activities and interface with other accelerator physics team members, with the Beam Instrumentation Team, and with the Controls and Operations Groups.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops beam simulation models or tools to help understand high intensity beam physics.
- Diagnose and remedy machine and beam dynamics issues that are not understood.
- Develop lines of inquiry to understand or improve aspects of the SNS accelerator beam.
- Develop beam study plans, and participate in shifts to pursue the general lines of inquiry.
- Participate in scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and publishes results in the form of SNS technical notes and memos, workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
- Participate with other team members in developing goals, resource plans, and policies for the Team and the Group.
- Assist team leader in coordinating the work of graduate students in the team.
- Ensures compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
- The SNS and HFIR facilities are in operation 24 hours per day and 7 days a week year round. You may be occasionally required to support users and/or facilities during off hours or weekends.
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
- PhD degree in accelerator physics or a related science or mathematical discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Your PhD should be completed within 5 years of your applcation date
- Strong mathematical and programming (Java + Python) skills
- Experience working in a control room, conducting accelerator-based experiments, and performing accelerator simulations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results in peer-reviewed publications
- Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an extension of up to 12 months
- Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding
- Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position
- If you are selected for interview, you will be required to send in a minimum of 2 letters of reference
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.