Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37831
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 185
Pay Band / Level: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Temporary
Relocation: Domestic and International Relocation Assistance is available for this position
The Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) is the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. The SNS is part of the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), which also contains the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov
The Beam Science and Technology Group is seeking a strong applications developer to maintain and develop the software toolset of the SNS Accelerator Physics (AP) team, needed to sustain stable beam operations and to increase beam power while minimizing beam loss. This is an exciting opportunity to utilize the SNS accelerator to further develop simulation and control software for high intensity beam physics, e.g. conceive and pursue beam-based experiments to validate new physics models. In this role you will support existing software infrastructure and implement migration to modern software development practices. You will interface different software codes (OpenXAL and pyORBIT) with each other to provide seamless online environment. You will also have the opportunity to Interact with the Beam Instrumentation Team, and with the Controls and Operations Groups. This position reports to the SNS Accelerator Physics Team leader.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop general understanding and ability to operate and maintain AP software infrastructure supporting the SNS accelerator operations.
- Develop physics applications as requested by AP team members or other interested parties
- Develop beam simulation models or tools to help understand high intensity beam physics.
- Participate in scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and publishes results in the form of SNS technical notes and memos, workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
- The SNS and HFIR facilities are in operation 24 hours per day and 7 days a week year round. You may be occasionally required to support users and/or facilities during off hours or weekends.
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
- PhD degree in accelerator physics or a related science with strong software development skills
- Your PhD should be completed within 5 years of your applcation date
- Good working knowledge of Java, best programming practices and build tools (ant, maven, gradle)
- Basic experience with GIT version control system
- Basic knowledge of SQL (preferably Oracle)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 2 or more years of relevant software development experience
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results in peer-reviewed publications.
- A background in accelerator physics and experience working with an accelerator
- Experience working in a control room, conducting accelerator-based experiments, and performing accelerator simulations
- Good mathematical and programming skills, including Java, Python and C++ skills are highly desirable.
- Knowledge of scientific data storage systems - in particular HDF5 format
- Experience with Wolfram Mathematica including functional programming principles
- General understanding of client/server software development as well as parallelization tools like MPI
Benefits at ORNL: UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.