Reference No.: FG 2018/9
The Institute for Accelerator Physics at HZB operates and develops modern particle accelerators for a variety of applications. Together with the Institute for SRF – Science and Technology and the Operations Department it works on the upgrade of BESSY II to a variable pulse length storage ring - BESSY VSR. This new concept allows the simultaneous operation of the light source with high brightness and picosecond timing resolution. For the future, HZB is working on a concept for BESSY III, a Soft-X-Ray Multi- User Synchrotron-Light-Source Facility as a successor to BESSY II.
- Numerical calculations and analysis of wakefields and vacuum chamber impedances
- Optimization of vacuum chamber cross sections, in close collaboration with the engineers of the vacuum group, to reduce electron beam and vacuum chamber interaction
- Calculation of the impedance budget of HZBs´ electron storage rings
- Execution of machine studies for the verifcation of the optained results and for the characterisation of new vacuum chamber installations
- Numerical field calculation for the optimization of RF cavities for acceleration and diagnostic
- PhD in physics or related discipline
- Extensive experience in numerical field calculations with programs like CST Studio ©
- Experience in performing time-domain, frequency-domain and eigenmode simulations to calculate the beam – vacuum chamber interaction
- basic knowledge of the mechanical and rf design of vacuum chambers and other vacuum installations like diagnostic devices, valves, collimators …
- basic knowledge of the physics and beam dynamics of electron accelerators
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to apply?
Have we sparked your interest? Then we look for ward to receiving your application by September 30, 2018.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1, 14109 Berlin
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)
ope rates two large scale facilities for materials research: the neutron source BER II and the synchrontron source BESSY II, which provide deep insights into the structure of materials and the processes within complex systems. Each year around 3,000 scientists use the HZB infrastructure facilities. Important focuses of HZB are accelerator, materials and energy research.
SCIENCE + CAREER + DIVERSITY = HZB
... is the formula for our successful human re sources policy. We offer wide-ranging internal and external training programs for our employees as well as a special support program for young scientists. Our family friendly workplace policy includes flexible working hours,
telework arrangements and holiday pro grams for employees' children.
CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Prof. Dr. Andreas Jankowiak
phone: +49 30 8062 13508
Dr. Hans-Walter Glock
phone: +49 30 8062 13464