DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
The Photo lnjector Test facility (PITZ) in Zeuthen (near Berlin) develops high brightness electron sources for Free-Electron Lasers (FELs) like FLASH and European XFEL. Generation of electron bunches with extremely low emittance and very high phase space density is one of the important goals of the R&D program at PITZ. The emittance of state of the art photoinjector electron sources is dominated by the cathode emittance, so understanding and improvement of photocathode and photoemission dynamics are of great importance for further increasing the electron source brightness.
The postdoc will focus on both experimental studies and numerical simulations of semiconductor photocathode photoemission in high gradient RF guns, including cases not subject to space charge, i.e. low peak current photoemission, and cases under strong collective effects, i.e. high peak current photoemission. In addition to static photoemission, i.e. assuming no changes of photocathode properties during photoemission, understanding of dynamics during cathode degradation and during burst-mode photoemission used at both FLASH and European XFEL is also important. The successful candidate will design/implement/analyze photocathode and photoemission experiments for the purpose of improving numerical photoemission models.
- Work in one of the world-leading groups for photo injector developments with physicists and engineers
- Perform numerical modeling of photoemission processes near the cathode surface on both sides (both in the material and in vacuum) for semiconductor cathodes like Cs2Te and CsK2Sb
- Design and analyze experiments and compare with simulations
- Participation in shift operation for accelerator R&D at PITZ and/or XFEL
- PhD in physics, strong background in semiconductor surface physics, especially for photoemission modeling is of advantage
- Knowledge/skills in experimental characterization of photocathodes and photoemission
- Familiar with monte carlo simulation and high level scripting languages (Python/Matlab), good programming skills
- Good command of English, knowledge of German is of advantage
- Excellent teamwork spirit in an international working environment
For further information please contact Dr. Houjun Qian, +49-33762 77-191, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is initially limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: Online Application
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: APPO007/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: 040 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled. Reviewing of the applications will start on May 11th, 2020