The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
As a postdoctoral fellow, you will be deeply involved in all the beamline activities: you will participate in the commissioning and development of the beamline instruments, you will establish your own in-house research programme and you will provide support to external users as local contact.
The X-Ray Nanoprobe Group comprises five beamlines, all based on X-ray microscopes but providing different techniques and imaging contrasts:
- ID01: nano-XRD, Bragg-CDI, FFDXM in the hard X-ray range (email@example.com
- ID13: hard X-ray (coherent) micro-/nano-XRD, SAXS/WAXS (also 3D) (firstname.lastname@example.org
- ID16A: nano-imaging: cryo XRF, holography, nanotomography (email@example.com)
- ID16B: nano-XRF, XAS, XRD, XEOL in the hard X-ray range (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ID21: (cryo) micro-XRF and micro-XANES in the tender X-ray range (email@example.com)
Applications cover scientific fields such as biology, medicine, soft matter, environmental science, earth science, cultural heritage, catalysis, nanotechnology, microelectronics and energy.
We are looking for post-docs with various profiles, interested in instrumental (hardware and software) development as well as in applications of synchrotron microscopy.
Applicants are highly encouraged to visit our web pages (https://www.esrf.eu/home/UsersAndScience/find-a-beamline.html
) to know more about our activities and to contact the beamline heads to further discuss their project.
Open until filled.
- PhD in chemistry, physics, biology, or closely related science obtained less than 3 years ago
- A strong background in the interactions X-rays / matter (XRF, XRD, SAXS/WAXS, CDI, ptychography, phase-contrast tomography, XAS, XEOL) is desirable
- Previous experience on a synchrotron facility is an asset
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc...).