The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) is an intergovernmental organization whose mandate is to provide the basis for a coherent system of measurements throughout the world, traceable to the International System of Units (SI). The BIPM is based in Sèvres, in the outskirts of Paris (France), and has an international staff of about 70. Further information can be found on www.bipm.org
The BIPM seeks to recruit a Physicist in the Time Metrology Department:
(based on qualifications and experience)
Deadline for applications: 31 Aug 2020
(midnight Paris time)
Type of contract: Indefinite term - Fulltime appointment
Location: Sèvres, Paris suburb, France
Principal duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of the Time Department, in view of the expected retirement of a senior scientist, the successful applicant will:
- Contribute to the generation, maintenance, and improvement of the UTC and associated services of the Department;
- Coordinate and contribute to studies of GNSS time transfer techniques, including future development and set up of new tests for improved measurements;
- Contribute to the studies on the role of optical frequency standards, and their optimal use in UTC, also in view of a possible redefinition of the second;
- Coordinate and contribute to the program of calibration of GNSS time transfer techniques, including the establishment of correct procedures and data analysis tools in cooperation with the CCTF related Working Groups;
- Proactively follow the development of the time and frequency transfer techniques for their possible introduction into UTC, in collaboration with the NMIs, and the related CCTF Working Groups, including liaison with IGS, GNSS providers, and the geodesy community;
- Develop necessary algorithms and their software implementation harmonized with the overall UTC algorithm and software of the Time Department.
- PhD or equivalent qualification in technical fields related to metrology;
Skills and competencies
- The ideal candidate has more than 10-15 years of progressively relevant experience of time and frequency metrology and/or GNSS time transfer and related applications. Less experienced candidates may be considered;
- Strong technical skills in time and frequency metrology and/or in the development and operation of advanced time and frequency transfer techniques based on GNSS and geodetic techniques;
- Good knowledge of programming languages such as for example FORTRAN, Python, Matlab. Basic knowledge of Perl, MySQL and Unix Shell script may be useful;
- Good communication skills (oral and written) and inter-personal skills;
- Capacity to work in a team as well as to work independently;
- Sense of commitment, rigor, precision, transparency, and a proactive approach on attaining objectives;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and maintain effective working relationships inside and outside the organization;
Terms of Employment
- A fluent level of spoken and written English (for report writing, oral presentations and technical discussions);
- Although proficiency in French is not essential at the outset, the candidate will be expected to acquire a working knowledge of French after taking up the post, with lessons provided as necessary.
The BIPM offers for this position an indefinite term fulltime appointment, with an initial probationary period of 6 months renewable once for a period of 6 months at a maximum.
The annual gross salary will be from 58 277 Euros (Grade A9) to 69 532 Euros (Grade A10), depending on qualifications and level of experience, plus expatriate and family allowances based on eligibility. Salaries and allowances are exempt from income tax in France, but taken into consideration for the calculation of the effective taxation rate, depending on the marital situation.
Benefits include a minimum of thirty working days’ vacation per year. The BIPM provides a contributory pension scheme and private health insurance for staff, which can be extended to cover dependents.
Please send a C.V. and a covering letter (in English) to email@example.com
by midnight, Paris time,
on 31 Aug 2020
Applications should include the names of two persons who can comment on the applicant's suitability for the post (who will only be contacted with the prior permission of the candidate).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. They may be requested to participate in a telephone interview as part of the selection process, scheduled in June 2020. Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to an interview.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for this post as a result of this selection process.
The BIPM retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a different grade, to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than the one indicated in this vacancy announcement.