We are looking for an enthusiastic and versatile Optical Design Engineer to join a dynamic company focusing on developing Laser and LED systems across a wide range of applications. As the Optical Design Engineer, you will apply your skills in physics and mechanics of optical devices to the development of LED and Laser platforms. This will include new 'blank-sheet' designs and customizing application specific solutions from the existing product range which will require liaison with customers and suppliers.
Optical Design Engineer responsibilities:
- Development of optical and mechanical concepts and designs for laser module products, tooling and production test equipment (mechanical models and associated drawings, specifications etc.)
- Prototyping, testing and validation of concepts and products, ensuring appropriate documentation of results and build process.
- Adherence to documentation control procedures to satisfy ISO9001 requirements.
- Hands-on practical approach, where appropriate, to the design and test process of products.
- Liaison with customers, suppliers and production teams
- Providing technical support to sales, marketing and production.
The product development process involves the generation of detailed specifications with the customer, development of the design concept, detailed mechanical, electrical and optical design, prototype testing and validation, and new product introduction.
Requirements for Optical Design Engineer:
- A Degree in Physics, Optical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in design and development of opto-mechanical components
- Experience with 3D CAD packages (preferably Autodesk Inventor)
- Knowledge of standard machining/manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a practical manner and get involved with the required tasks
- Experience in optical modelling concepts for the correct selection of components to achieve required module optical output
- Ability to understand and select optical properties of components such as laser diodes and lenses to establish the optimal conditions for customer requirements
- Ability to use Zemax (or equivalent)
- Knowledge or experience in thermal analysis, optics and microelectronic packaging
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
Location: Hertfordshire - commutable from London, Stevenage, Chelmsford, Bishop Stortford, Braintree, Harlow etc.
The successful candidate for this role should be innovative, practical problem-solver and a good communicator, capable of working on their own initiative in a multidisciplinary team environment.