European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
You will join a team of engineers in charge of advanced modelling / calculations and mechanical projects of new equipment for the ESRF particle accelerator complex and experimental stations (beamlines).
Your main duties and responsibilities are the following:
- Take charge of engineering projects for new components of the accelerators and experimental beamlines (high stability supports, opto-mechanical devices, motorised mechanical systems, etc.) involving high precision, stability, vacuum and cooling technologies: feasibility studies, mechanical design studies using computer-assisted tools, supervision of the production of detailed mechanical drawings, procurement, manufacturing and test phases
- Carry out modelling and calculations for engineering and opto-mechanical projects involving the use of FEA and other specific calculation tools.
For these tasks, you will work in close collaboration with engineers experienced in calculations and in the design of scientific instrumentation.
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma) in mechanical engineering or a related discipline
- Solid theoretical background enabling to develop calculations and modelling skills in mechanics, vibration, heat transfer.
- Proven experience with FEA tools (ANSYS, COMSOL or similar) as well as in mechanical design and use of CAD software
- 5 to 10 years of relevant professional experience
- Ability to quickly understand scientific requirements
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).