European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. User operation has started
in September 2017.
The FXE (Femtosecond X-ray Experiments) scientific instrument at the European XFEL embraces several fields of ultrafast X-ray science and their applications by ultrafast pump–probe experiments on timescales below 100 femtoseconds. Its main research program is devoted to dynamic studies of chemical and biochemical reactions in liquid and different solid-state applications. FXE serves a broad user community with applications in many fields and in particular in Chemical dynamics, Photovoltaics, Photosynthesis, Catalysis, Materials Science.
More information on the science program and instrument design can be found here:
We are now offering the position
Leading Scientist and Group Leader FXE Instrument (f/m/d)
We are looking for a scientific leader that will:
• manage a team of scientists, engineers and technicians
• engage, together with the team and in tight collaboration with the user community, in bringing the science performed at the FXE instrument to a world class level
• foster a strong user community, and that you will engage in outreach activities to further expand the user base, with the aim to embrace new scientific and geographical areas
• be responsible for the definition design and construction of all future refurbishments and upgrades to the FXE instrument to maintain it state-of-the-art and world-leading
This program will be driven by new scientific directions that may emerge in the coming years, and will be carried out in synergy with the requirements and wishes of our user community.
• be a well-established leader in a related scientific field
• possess proven record in applications of synchrotron, free-electron laser or high power optical laser radiation
• interest and experience in development and use of the related instrumentation will be an asset
• strong and proven managerial capabilities, the ability to build and lead an international team must be demonstrated
For additional information, please contact Dr. Sakura Pascarelli (email@example.com
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers
Become part of a vibrant international and multicultural team of scientists, engineers, technical, and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust-based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition, European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, a subsidized job-ticket for the local public transportation system, as well as our brand-new company restaurant BeamStop. The European XFEL GmbH employs a diverse, broadly international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is permanent.
31 January 2020
Please apply online and and provide a motivation letter and a CV in English as well as your reference letters in one single pdf-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.