The ESF is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the support of excellent science through the provision of specialized services. We operate in the EU and wider European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the frame of our development we invite applications for a Junior Science Officer.
The mission of the position is to assist the science staff in supporting the relevant projects, Expert Boards and Committees, completing grant evaluation processes and, when applicable, representing ESF to improve its visibility amongst the European research community as well as research organizations.
This position will involve:
▪ Supporting ESF activities, including the implementation of European Projects;
▪ Assisting the science staff in supporting the relevant ESF Expert Boards and Committees, and supporting strategic activities by providing timely quality papers;
▪ Ensuring high quality implementation of evaluation processes and activities in a timely manner, through (i) identification of appropriate potential reviewers, (ii) quality checks on the contents and form of received reviews and (iii) participating to the setting up and implementation of expert panels;
▪ Ensuring compliance with external contracts through full and timely reporting as applicable;
▪ Representing ESF in external meetings when necessary;
▪ Preparing and proposing actions for science communication (material for hard copy publication, including annual activity reports, and for the Web);
▪ Keeping up-to-date with relevant scientific and research policy developments, in particular in the area of data and/or computer science.
The Junior Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
▪ PhD or Master’s degree and preferably with a further 2 years’ research experience in Data Sciences or Computer science; ▪ Basic knowledge of European and national research structures and institutions and European and international science policy;
▪ High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
▪ Ability to draft concise and clear scientific documents;
▪ Experience in project management ▪ Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases (Scopus, Web of Science, ScienceDirect...) and science share Web sites (ResearchGate, Academia.edu, etc.).
▪ Good organisational skills and capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
▪ Action-orientated and responsible;
▪ Creative, willing to take initiative and continuously improvement-minded;
▪ Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
▪ Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community if applicable;
▪ Good communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
▪ Good presentational skills;
▪ Positive and constructive attitude.
This position empowers an emerging junior scientist with top-class learning in a very pleasant and dynamic environment.
▪ The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will start as soon as possible.
▪ The contract is offered for a duration of 18 months + possible extension.
▪ The person selected for the position will be working from the ESF Headquarters in Strasbourg. The position will involve significant travel.
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 16 June 2019
quoting the following reference JSO DS19
. Interviews will be held in Strasbourg on 1st July 2019
The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender (including in cases of pregnancy or maternity); age; ethnic, national or social origin; religion or belief; sexual orientation; disability; political opinion; social or economic condition or health.