Junior Science Officer
The ESF is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the support of excellent science through the provision of specialized services. We operate in the EU and wider European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the frame of our development we invite applications for a Junior Science Officer.
The mission of the position is to assist the science staff in supporting the space science and relevant Expert Boards and Committees, completing peer review and evaluation processes and, when applicable, representing ESF to improve its visibility amongst the European research community as well as Member Organisations and Expert Committees.
This position will involve:
▪ Assisting the science staff in supporting the European Space Sciences Committees and other possibly other relevant ESF Expert Boards and Committees, and supporting strategic activities by providing timely quality papers;
▪ Supporting ESF activities, including the implementation of European Projects;
▪ Ensuring high quality implementation of peer review and evaluation activities in a timely manner, through (i) identification of appropriate potential reviewers, and (ii) quality checks on the contents and form of received reviews;
▪ Ensuring compliance with external contracts through full and timely reporting as applicable;
▪ Representing ESF in external meetings when necessary;
▪ Preparing and proposing actions for science communication (material for hard copy publication, including annual activity reports, and for the Web);
▪ Keeping up-to-date with relevant scientific and research policy developments.
The Junior Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
▪ PhD or Master’s degree and preferably with a further 2 years’ research experience in space sciences (including life and physical sciences in space) or engineering;
▪ Basic knowledge of European and national research structures and institutions and European and international science policy;
▪ High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
▪ Ability to draft, under supervision, concise and clear scientific documents;
▪ Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases (Scopus, Web of Science, ScienceDirect...) and science share Web sites (ResearchGate, Academia.edu, etc.).
▪ Good organisational skills and capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
▪ Action-orientated and responsible;
▪ Creative, willing to take initiative and continuously improvement-minded;
▪ Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
▪ Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community if applicable;
▪ Good communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
▪ Good presentational skills;
▪ Positive and constructive attitude.
This position empowers an emerging junior scientist with top-class learning in a very pleasant and dynamic environment.
▪ The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will start as soon as possible.
▪ The contract is offered for a duration of 24 months + possible extension.
▪ The person selected for the position will be working from the ESF Headquarters in Strasbourg. The position will involve significant travel.
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 26 November 2018 to email@example.com quoting the following reference JSO 112018. Interviews will be held in Strasbourg on 4 December 2018.
The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender (including in cases of pregnancy or maternity); age; ethnic, national or social origin; religion or belief; sexual orientation; disability; political opinion; social or economic condition or health.