European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics. Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
This Division is composed of about 80 skilled engineers and technicians, and is responsible for maintaining and developing efficient technical infrastructures at the ESRF.
It carries out the provision of services to all of the ESRF divisions in the following areas: building and infrastructure, management information systems, computing and infrastructure assistance, and specifically to the accelerator complex and the beamlines in the fields of survey & alignment and vacuum.
Reporting to the Director General, you:
- manage the Heads of the different Groups,
- ensure the optimal performance of the Division,
- follow the progress of major projects of the Division,
- manage the Division's budget,
- develop and implement the necessary structure for project management within the Division,
- manage the office and lab space, deal with space assignment issues of the ESRF,
- liaise with other appropriate units and groups of the ESRF,
- represent the Division on the Board of ESRF Directors and coordinate the directives and information received,
- represent the Division on the various supervisory bodies of the ESRF, towards the local authorities for the building and public transport activities, as well as on an international level.
You will have the opportunity to shape the structure and operation of the Division to maintain the technological advance of the ESRF. This senior position implies responsibilities that cover many domains of development and support in the area of technical infrastructures and offers exciting opportunities for personal development and for involvement in resolving technical challenges.
- The successful candidate should have a University degree or engineer diploma or equivalent in one of the relevant areas (computing, civil works, advanced technical infrastructure as vacuum systems, mechanical engineering, etc...), (PhD degree, Master, School of Engineering degree, etc.) with substantial experience, preferably in an international environment
- Management experience is essential; this should include planning, organising,communication, and analysis
- The candidate should have initiative, autonomy, diplomacy, and leadership. The ability to establish a strong team-spirit culture is a major advantage
- The candidate should possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English, while knowledge of French is a valuable asset
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The employment contract is permanent, the appointment on the position is for a period of 5 years and renewable.