Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility which accelerates electrons to near light speeds, to produce a light 10 billion times brighter than the Sun. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About the Role
We now have a new opportunity for a skilled and experienced Functional Safety Engineer to carry out the full life cycle of delivery of a high integrity personnel safety system to protect people from the radiation hazards produced from the Diamond synchrotron. This will be from initial selection of suitable hardware, conceptual design, detailed design, commissioning and acceptance, then ongoing support.
You will also provide creative, innovative and adaptive expert input to the specification and design of new beamline personnel safety systems.
Diamond is planning a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II, which will generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy. This role will play a significant part in contributing to the upgrade.
This opportunity is as either a Functional Safety Engineer or Senior Functional Safety Engineer depending on the strength of applicant’s skills, experience and qualifications. Depending upon the appointment level, further responsibilities will include some or all of the following:
- Investigate replacement Safety system solutions for new Beamlines for Diamond-II;
- Lead the specification of safety logic to ensure protection from hazards;
- Apply technical know-how on active safety systems;
- Manage stakeholders through all stages of the project Safety Systems life cycle;
- Undertake statistical analysis of the installed Safety System;
- Project manage work-packages related to Safety System by external suppliers including preparation of tenders and service level agreements;
- Line management for contractors to support Safety System design, installation, commissioning & periodic testing;
- Carry out training in understanding and meeting the safety requirements for applications that include Lasers and Robots and selection of suitable safety solutions.
You will be educated to degree level in Electrical Engineering or another STEM discipline, or demonstrate equivalent experience.
You will be an experienced Functional Safety Engineer with a hands-on practical background in the delivery of safety systems for large scale industrial or scientific applications. This should include sound knowledge of 61508 & 61511 principles and appreciation of TUV certification.
Hands on experience with Safety PLC's including specifying, software creation and verification would be beneficial.
You will display the ability to read, understand and if necessary, modify engineering drawings, to write and interpret technical specifications, and have a good appreciation of project management and contract supervision principles.
You will display excellent communication, presentation, influencing and negotiation skills to communicate with staff at all levels, internal customers and suppliers.
Applicants are required to outline their suitability for this role via the online application process. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis until this vacancy is filled.