South West England
£33,446.00 - £60,592.00
Join us and be part of the energy for change.
Nuclear Fuel Performance Engineer, Barnwood, Gloucestershire, Salary from £33,446 to £60,592 & Benefits.
A technically stimulating opportunity exists to join the EDF Energy Nuclear Fuel Performance Team. The role is to assure nuclear safety of both Advanced Gas-cooled Reactors (AGR) and Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) fuel by understanding and assessing its thermo-mechanical behaviour.
The role requires an advanced understanding of the fundamental properties and behaviours of ceramic and metallic materials, including atomic behaviour, crystallography, microstructure, phase changes, gas diffusion, mechanical performance and influenced of irradiation. The role holder will perform substantial data analysis and numerical modelling using proprietary codes and methods.
We are looking for a self-motivated team member to anticipate, define then solve novel and technically complex problems. The ideal candidate will:
• Have academic qualifications in materials science at degree level or above. Alternatively, equivalent qualifications in physics, chemistry or engineering coupled with demonstrable knowledge or relevant experience of materials behaviour.
• Be technically astute when encountering new or novel technical concepts; willing to thoroughly examine technical issues and perform detailed numerical analysis.
• Interact comfortably stakeholders presenting complex technical issue clearly and concisely.
In addition, the following will be advantageous:
• Relevant, prior experience, either in academia or in industry, e.g. materials/nuclear fuel, thermo-mechanical modelling or analysis.
• Practical experience with the UNIX/LINUX operating system environment and software development.
Competitive Salary & Benefits
The salary range is between £ 33,446 and £ 60,592, with competitive terms and conditions. The starting salary for this appointment will be dependent on your existing salary, competence, experience and qualifications. You will receive 28 days annual holiday plus bank holidays, incremental and competency based progression, and a career average company pension scheme.
Why EDF Energy?
We are the UK’s largest producer of low-carbon electricity. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.
To apply, go to the red apply link above.