As a Fire Safety Engineer in the Infrastructure & Building Safety Engineering (IB) Section of HSE Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Group, you will take up the role of CERN specialist for Fire Safety, joining the Fire Safety Engineering team and a multidisciplinary team of Safety experts, covering several engineering domains.
Fire Safety Engineering (FSE) covers performance-based design of new CERN research facilities, carrying out fire risk assessments, defining suitable compensatory measures, developing and using and maintaining appropriate FSE tools.
- Check and validate fire design concepts for key CERN projects;
- Provide support to the design and assessment of research facilities, not fully covered by common standards, from a fire safety standpoint;
- Perform applied research activities in FSE fields related to the subject of interest for the Organization;
- Provide technical guidance and inputs for the scoping and preparation of fire risk assessments for CERN infrastructures;
- Contribute to the Projects and Experiments Safety Support activity of the HSE-OHS group for CERN projects follow-up, by coordinating internally the contributions of different Safety specialists.
You will also:
- Check the conformity to Safety requirements of engineering and tendering specifications.
- Design and deliver Safety training related to fire safety.
- Write CERN Safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience in application of performance-based fire safety design;
- Demonstrated experience in application of fire risk assessment methodologies and tools such as fire simulation software.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Working experience for Authorities Having Jurisdiction on fire safety;
- Experience in research activities in fire safety engineering;
- Experience in writing fire safety rules.
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in fluid mechanics and/or heat transfer
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: knowledge in programming languages and scripting applied to fire simulations. Developing ad hoc IT tools for FSE would be an asset.
- Occupational safety and risk management: thorough knowledge of qualitative and quantitative probabilistic methods applied to fire risk assessment, including evacuation simulations.
- Knowledge of EU regulations: applied knowledge on national, European and international standards applicable to fire safety products and systems.
- Operation of a High-Performance Parallel Computing Cluster.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.07.2019