Electronics Technical Support for Medipix project
You will join the Electronic Systems for Experiments Group (ESE) of the Experimental Physics Department (EP) in the context of the Medipix project which involves a large community of users.
After a period of extensive training you will be involved in organising logistical and technical support for the Collaboration members worldwide. This will include wafer testing, assembly testing, keeping detailed inventories and general technical support. Moreover various groups within CERN are using Medipix/Timepix devices in different projects and applications. You will be the first line technical contact for these people.
- Take responsibility in collaboration with design engineers, for the design, manufacture and assembly of laboratory-based test systems to characterize ASICs and ASIC-detector assemblies.
- Participate in preparation and execution of validation and production tests of ASIC's and ASIC-detector assemblies both on the bench and at a dedicated probe station. Interpret results and propose and develop technical solutions where necessary.
- Assist with the operation, maintenance and upgrading of dedicated laboratory instruments, probe station, test equipment and general laboratory facilities.
- Maintain a database of components.
- Design and procure probe cards and small PCBs for ASICs and ASIC assemblies.
- Provide technical assistance and logistical support to users of the devices including the setting up and debugging of test systems in labs and in test beam areas.
- Interface with specialized companies dealing with packaging of integrated circuits and their mounting on front-end modules.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics, preferably using ASICs.
- Demonstrated experience with design, test and production of electronics boards incorporating ASICs
- Experience with the use of CAD tools for schematic and layout of printed circuit boards.
- Experience with at least one modern programming language (e.g. C).
- Experience with at least one popular operating system (e.g. Windows or Linux).
Experience in the following fields will be considered as an advantage:
- Semiconductor sensors.
- Device testing with radiation (sources or X-rays).
- Wafer testing on probe stations.
- Laboratory data acquisition and test software packages, such as LabVIEW.
- Testing and measurement of analog microelectronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of digital microelectronic circuits.
- Layout of electronic circuit boards: including chip on board.
- Fabrication of electronic circuit boards.
- Packaging of electronic components.
English: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts. The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.08.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Please consult our website for more information.