At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Electrical Engineering (EL) group of the EN department, you will join the Electrical Works and Services Section (EWS), which is responsible for delivering electrical works, commissioning new electrical installations and operating CERN’s electrical transmission and distribution network.
Are you an experienced electrical technician, specialized in delivering electrical works, commissioning and operating electrical equipment, and bringing electrical installations into conformity?
Then your skills could contribute to the operation, maintenance, consolidation and extension of a complex electrical transmission and distribution network, dedicated to a unique laboratory hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Electrical Engineering team. Take part!
As an Electrical Technician in the Electrical Works and Services (EWS) Section, you will work on activities related to high and low voltage electrical network (works, commissioning, operation), whilst progressively bringing conformity to the existing electrical installations.
- Carry out various electrical works, including commissioning, in the context of consolidation and upgrades.
- Verify that works undertaken by contractors fully comply with safety rules, quality requirements, technical specifications and general requirements.
- Operate the electrical network, in terms of network reconfigurations, fault analysis and development of operational procedures.
- Participate in electrical safety inspections carried out by accredited organizations, analyse inspection reports and organize works to bring installations into conformity.
- Provide a permanent support to CERN’s community in resolving any electrical safety non-conformities identified on the spot.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electricity or a related field.
- Extended experience with electrical distribution equipment (switchgear, switchboards, protection relays, transformers, UPS systems, battery chargers, inverters).
- Extended experience in supervising electrical works; in particular preparation and verification of work files, work supervision and acceptance of electrical installations.
- Initial experience in electrical safety inspection would be an asset.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks.
- Contract management: coordinate subcontractors, ensure compliance of installations with specifications.
- Operational maintenance of technical circuits and network.
- Practical knowledge of high and low voltage electrical network and its equipment.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
Spoken and written French; ability to understand and speak English in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.04.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-EL-EWS-2020-42-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician