At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology in order to define the new state of the art in technical infrastructures management and operation. Within the Electrical Engineering (EL) group of the EN department, you will join the section of the Electrical Works and Services Section (EWS), which is responsible for delivering electrical works, commissioning new electrical installations and operating CERN’s electrical transmission and distribution network.
Are you an experienced electrical engineer, specialized in commissioning electrical equipment and operating electrical network?
Then your skills could contribute to the operation, maintenance, consolidation and extension of the complex electrical transmission and distribution network of CERN, dedicated to a unique laboratory hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Electrical Engineering team. Take part!
As an Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Works and Services (EWS) Section, you will lead a substantial part of the activities related to high and low voltage electrical equipment and network whilst progressively bringing commissioning and operating practices up to current industrial standards.
- Be one of the lead engineers for commissioning electrical equipment and operating electrical network.
- Develop technical documents, procedures, working methods, quality plans and incident reports related to the electrical network.
- Ensure follow-up of events and failures on the electrical network, apply root cause analysis, identify weak points and technical solutions to guarantee a high level of safety availability and reliability
- Ensure that all activities carried out within the section (works, commissioning and operation) comply with safety rules, quality requirements and general CERN requirements.
- Perform a regular monitoring on technological developments, aiming at introducing new features and optimizations on the electrical network, and liaise with internal and external stakeholders accordingly.
- Provide support in the definition of the long-term evolution of the electrical network and its equipment.
- Propose continued improvements with the aim of reducing CERN’s energy consumption.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electricity or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience as a lead engineer for commissioning electrical equipment and/or operating electrical network.
- Extended experience with electrical distribution equipment (switchgear, switchboards, protection relays, transformers, UPS systems, battery chargers and inverters).
- Extended experience in commissioning electrical equipment and/or operating electrical networks.
- Experience in supervising a team would be an asset.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Operation and maintenance of electrical circuits and networks
- Project management
- Contract management
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely. Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26/07/2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-EL-EWS-2020-78-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Engineer