The Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA) is an international effort to build the next generation ground-based observatory for gamma-ray astronomy at very-high energies with more than 100 telescopes located in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. About 200 research institutions from 32 countries conceived CTA and are involved in designing and prototyping.
The Cherenkov Telescope Array Observatory (CTAO) with its Project Office in Bologna (Italy) is responsible for the construction and operation of the two CTA observatory sites, one in the Northern hemisphere on La Palma (Canary Islands, Spain) and one in the Southern hemisphere in Chile, as well as the Science Data Management Centre in Berlin-Zeuthen (Germany). CTA will be the world’s largest and most sensitive instrument for high-energy gamma-ray astronomy with the detailed design and preparation well underway. It will be built with a significant amount of in-kind contributions from participating institutions.
For its Project Office in Bologna (Italy), the CTAO is seeking a Document Specialist / Technical Writer.
As part of the CTA systems engineering team, the Document Specialist / Technical Writer will implement an electronic documentation management system and produce/manage high-quality documentation during the construction and operations phases of the CTA Observatory. He/she will collaborate with configuration management, engineers, scientists and managers in the CTA Project Office in Bologna, the array sites in La Palma and Chile, the Science Data Management Center in Berlin, in-kind contributor institutions and industry.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Define, implement and maintain a unique documentation management system for CTA, including moving relevant documents from various existing platforms, including those used by external CTA contributors
- Implement a unique document labelling/numbering system, considering work already done
- Provide support in document handling and control with respect to the CTA Configuration Management process
- Define and provide templates of many kinds (CRE, ICDs, Manuals, etc.) in collaboration with project office and contributor staff
- Write, coordinate and maintain technical documentation of great variety for CTA construction and operations in the various technical and infrastructure fields of CTA, in collaboration with technical project staff and in-kind contributors
- Coordinate, monitor and control electronic document submission
- Train and support users in the use of the documentation management system
- Be the “person authorised to compile the relevant technical documentation” in accordance with Annex II B 2 of the European Union Directive 2006/42/EC Machinery Directive.
CTA Lead System Engineer.
Qualification and Experience:
- A degree in a technical (physics, engineering, computer science or similar) or scientific field
- At least five years of relevant experience in an international and complex construction project, preferably in a science field
- Proven record of creating high-quality technical documentation
- Proven record of implementing and managing electronic documentation management systems
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical and scientific information
- Excellent writing and organizational skills with an eye for detail, precision and consistency
- Excellent communication skills and a command of English are essential
- Other languages, in particular Spanish, are an asset
- Ability to work effectively as a team player in an international, multi-cultural, distributed and complex project environment
Remuneration and Contract:
CTAO offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary.
The contract is an open term contract subject to successful completion of the probation period.
CTAO Project Office in Bologna, Italy.
Applications with full CV and a cover letter in English should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating position reference “CTA Documentation Specialist” and the names of three referees with contact details.
By submitting applications candidates acknowledge we might contact referees at any stage of the process without prior notice.
CTA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.cta-observatory.org, or contact the CTA Lead Systems Engineer Wolfgang Ansorge, email@example.com, or CTA Project Manager Dr. Wolfgang Wild, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 08 February 2019