Purpose: The Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks an outstanding research leader for the position of Director for the Physics Division. The Physics Division provides international leadership in fundamental symmetries of that can be observed through neutron (the neutron Electric Dipole Moment experiment at the Spallation Neutron Source) and neutrino properties (neutrinoless double beta decay and the Majorana Demonstrator experiment) and leads research in nuclear structure and astrophysics, relativistic heavy ion collisions (ALICE at the LHC) and nuclear theory. We also plan to expand division efforts in the areas of Quantum Information Science. We seek candidates able to initiate, coordinate, and maintain a successful large-scale research program at ORNL that leverages the nascent second quantum revolution. Candidates must have excellent research credentials complementary to ORNL’s existing expertise in quantum information science (QIS). ORNL conducts quantum research in several areas of the Laboratory, including quantum materials R&D in both the Materials Science and Technology Division and the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences within the Physical Sciences Directorate, and quantum algorithms, quantum computing, quantum sensing, and quantum communications within the Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with and build transdisciplinary bridges between diverse quantum programs across the laboratory to transform ORNL’s standing in QIS.
The Physics Division Director role provides a unique opportunity for a highly motivated research leader to shape the future direction of an exceptional research program. The Director’s responsibilities include:
- Defining and leading an innovative research program in QIS, nuclear, and high-energy physics, to provide a distinctive and world-leading scientific identity for the Physics Division
- Ensuring a stimulating environment for creativity and scientific excellence that will attract and retain outstanding research staff
- Managing resources and operations of a research organization by identifying opportunities to enhance capabilities with respect to hiring staff, procuring equipment, and allocation of space
- Fostering clear communications within and outside Physics Division, highlighting technical achievements and staff recognition, identifying opportunities, and addressing issues of importance for the organization
- Mentoring staff for professional success
- Promoting a culture of safety and equality in the workplace
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A Ph.D. in Physics or a related field relevant to QIS
- A minimum of fifteen years of professional research experience beyond the doctorate in academia, industry, or national laboratory
- At least five years of experience leading multi-disciplinary research groups or organizations
- A distinguished record of research achievement, as evidenced by scholarly publications, patents, and/or funded research grants
- The ability to obtain and/or maintain a Q security clearance
- Possess a demonstrated record of supporting the professional development of research staff
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and enjoy working in a team environment
- Ability to foster and maintain high standards in Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) and Quality assurance for all of the Division’s activities
Please provide a CV and list of publications and references when applying for this position.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
For more information about ORNL and the Physics Division, visit http://www.ornl.gov and https://www.ornl.gov/division/pd.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.