The Cherenkov Telescope Array is the international initiative to build the world’s largest and most sensitive high-energy gamma-ray observatory. The CTA Observatory gGmbH (CTAO) and the CTAO ERIC will construct and operate about 120 telescopes located in La Palma, Spain and Paranal, Chile to detect radiation at the highest energies with unprecedented accuracy and approximately 10 times better sensitivity than current instruments, providing novel insights into the most extreme events in the Universe. More than 1400 scientists and engineers from31 countries are engaged in the scientific and technical development of CTA.
For its Directorate of Administration, at the Headquarters in Bologna, Italy, CTAO is opening the position of:
Director of Administration (M/F/D)
As a member of the Directorate, reporting directly to the Managing Director/Director General, the Director of Administration has a leading role in ensuring that the CTAO's financial and human resources match the scope of the entire project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Directorate of Administration comprises: Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Legal, IT, Facilities logistics and transport, and General Administrative Infrastructure for the sites at Bologna, La Palma (Spain), Paranal (Chile), Zeuthen (Germany) and (for the time being) Heidelberg (Germany). The Director of Administration leads and guides the administrative services and is therefore responsible for the fields of financial planning and accounting, treasury, procurement, human resources, legal, infrastructure site and building maintenance, and administrative computing. As a member of the CTAO senior management the Director of Administration contributes to the development of the overall policy and strategic planning. The Director of Administration has the accountability for the effective management, coordination and follow-up of activities associated with high-level committees and working groups, especially the Administrative and Finance Committee.
The Managing Director/Director General.
Qualifications and Experience:
CTAO seeks an experienced administrative officer with a university degree in Business Administration, Economics, Law or related discipline.
The successful candidate should preferably possess:
- Management and administration experience in a research or scientific environment, preferably in an international organisation;
- Proven track record in the area of Human Resources, Finance, Controlling, Procurement and Legal Groups of the Administration;
- A documented background in the cost-effective management of complex structures and demonstrate a deep knowledge of the legal framework, administrative rules, funding regulations, procedures, and best practice of research institutions
- Experience in effective cost management in complex project structures;
- Experience in formulating policies, and in their implementation and tracking;
- Excellent organisational, team and communication skills;
- The ability to think strategically, to take effective decisions and provide leadership;
- The capacity to set and control objectives of the different departments/groups, and to focus on priorities and evaluate procedural duties;
- The ability to build strong and effective links both within and outside the organisation.
The position requires proficiency in written and spoken English. Additional knowledge of Italian, German and/or Spanish is a plus.
Remuneration and Contract:
CTAO offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary and fringe benefits. The contract is for a fixed term of five years and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. After this 5-year fixed term contract, the contract might be converted into an open-term contract
Bologna, Italy, with regular travel.
Applications should be forwarded to Prof. Federico Ferrini (email@example.com
) with a CV and cover letter in English. Please name three referees with contact details. We might contact them at the end of recruitment process, but not without your prior consent. CTA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. For more information, please visit www.cta-observatory.org
Closing date: August 21st, 2019