The world-renowned Manufacturing Metrology Team (MMT) at the University of Nottingham has a range of PhD positions to carry out research into the cutting edge of metrology. Our research combines a deep understanding of the physics of a measurement process with advances in artificial intelligence, to develop the next generation of measurement and analysis tools for engineering and manufacturing. MMT is an international and diverse team that thrives on openness and cooperation – students work in teams to achieve joint goals in a friendly but professional cohort setting. MMT has state-of-the-art lab and office facilities in the new Advanced Manufacturing Building on the beautiful Jubilee Campus. All projects are supported by industrial partners and/or national research labs and provide the PhD candidate with an enhanced stipend as well as opportunities for collaboration with major international groups. A range of 3 to 4 year projects are available with the balance of theory to experiment to be subject to the candidate’s expertise and requirements. The following themes are currently available for start in October 2020 or earlier. See our website for full project descriptions and notes:
- Characterisation of confocal microscopy for surface topography measurement
- Smart AI algorithms for 3D shape measurement technology
- High accuracy robotic system for precise object manipulation
- Psychophysics: linking physical and psychological function
- In-process optical surface measurement sensor using machine learning
- Measurement uncertainty in advanced manufacturing
- Super-resolution metrology of image-forming diffractive waveguides for augmented and mixed reality displays
Please send a copy of your covering letter, CV and academic transcripts (or just informal enquires at first) to email@example.com
. We especially welcome candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Full fees and enhanced stipend are available.
The positions are available for UK or EU candidates, but International applicants who can pay the difference between the Home and International Fees would also be welcome to apply. MMT encourages international travel to conferences during the course of the PhD, which would be fully funded.
Candidates must possess or expect to obtain, a high 2:1 or 1st
class degree in science, engineering, computer science, or other relevant discipline.