The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
With the upgrade of Swiss Light Source (SLS 2.0) and the continuation of beamline construction at Swiss Free Electron Laser (SwissFEL), PSI is facing new challenges concerning control systems, data management and processing. The number of sensors in the overall system will increase by two orders of magnitude. In addition, the quantity of data generated by the detectors at the experiment stations will increase substantially. This will create extreme demands on data acquisition, storage and processing. For this reason, the Development and Consulting Group within the Science IT Section is looking for a
Coordinator and Architect for IT and Controls Systems
Swiss Light Source 2.0
- Design and implementation of an end to end IT infrastructure and software architecture for SLS 2.0 covering both the machine and beamlines
- Leading Controls and IT sub project for SLS 2.0, including budget responsibility
- Management of a rolling forecast to define requirements concerning data management and processing along a complex experiment chain
- Development and assessment of services and architectures for control systems, data management and processing as well as network based developments on technical and economic requirements
- Linking PSI controls, data management and processing activities with similar national/international projects
- Engage in the development, consolidation and optimization of IT infrastructure and software architectures for similar facilities at PSI
- PhD degree or equivalent professional experience in science, physics, electronics or in a similar domain
- Experience of the requirements of high throughput and high volume experiment data management in a science environment (e.g. synchrotron, FEL etc.)
- Excellent methodological and practical skills in design, evaluation and implementation of complex Control and IT service and infrastructure architectures
- Capability to coordinate subject matter experts from different areas (Controls, Science IT, Beamline Scientists, Network Specialists, IT Security, etc.)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
The salary offer will be commensurate with the depth and breadth of your experience.
The employment contract will (initially) be limited until the end of 2025. This is a fixed-term position though a permanent contract will be considered for an outstanding candidate.
For further information please contact Dr Alun Ashton, email email@example.com
Please submit your application online by clicking the red apply button above by 20 May 2020 for the position as a Coordinator and Architect for IT and Controls Systems (index no. 9551-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland