Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities.
The University has 40 000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are
united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a national large-scale research laboratory providing scientists from Sweden and the rest of
the world with instruments for research in areas such as materials science, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 3 000 scientists annually. 250 people are currently employed at the MAX IV Laboratory.
The smooth functioning of the MAX IV synchrotron facility relies on robust and efficient operation of the IT and computing infrastructure. Our IT Infrastructure team is responsible for providing all necessary IT components for the laboratory, from enterprise services to the highly technical environment at the beamlines. In all those areas, we observe an increasing use of docker containers for application deployment.
As cloud infrastructure engineer at MAX IV, you will be part of this team that designs, builds and operates infrastructure and platform services for our developers and system users, and work in close contact with the stakeholders of the provided services.
Our technical workloads, designed to process data flows of 10-40Gbps per detector unit, require a solid understanding of the technologies, docker for deployment and kubernetes for orchestration, as well as the underlying server and network infrastructure. You will be expected to provide this expertise, develop the necessary on-premises infrastructure and contribute to the definition of the future roadmap, as well as support our development teams in the trend towards cloud native application development and deployment.
The successful candidate is expected to proactively contribute to the future evolution, and be able to follow and analyse the trends and new developments in cloud technology and how these can be applied to the technical environment of MAX IV.
We offer a challenging but inspiring environment, working on state-of-the art technologies in support of applied science.
Key Work Tasks:
- Develop on-premises cloud infrastructure, with a possible extension into hybrid cloud solution
- Integration with other components of the IT infrastructure, such as beamline data acquisition systems, HPC cluster, data transfer system and cloud storage solutions
- Support application developers in migration towards cloud-native application development
- Participation in collaborative projects within MAX IV and other academic partners
- Extensive working experience in infrastructure and/or system engineering
- Expertise in Docker and Kubernetes (related certifications a plus)
- Solid understanding of physical and container networking concepts; practical experience therein
- Experience with system performance evaluation and tuning
- Familiarity with automation tools (Ansible, Jenkins)
- Fluent in at least one of python, C, go, bash scripting
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Fluent in English
Additional meriting qualifications:
- BSc level or higher in IT or computer science
- Experience with architecting cloud native applications
- Experience with low-level aspects of computing systems
- Experience working in scientific environment
For more information and to apply: https://lu.varbi.com/en/what:job/jobID:287459/type:job/where:4/apply:1