Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Diffraction & Scattering
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light.
The Balder beamline is dedicated to X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and X-ray emission spectroscopy (XES) experiments in the medium and hard X-ray energy range, 2.4 - 40 keV. The high brilliance from the 3 GeV storage ring in combination with the beamline design allows us to perform time-resolved measurements down to sub-second time resolution. To achieve this, Balder uses bespoke X-ray optics and complex scientific hardware, X-ray detectors and sample environments. The nature of the samples is also highly varied, from gases to solid samples, and may require use of tailored reactor cells or cryogenic temperatures, for example. All of this is required for Balder to achieve high levels of reliability to enable users to carry out experiments 24/7.
We are looking for a technician to support the scientists and technical support groups during beamline maintenance, commissioning and operations. You will assemble, test, and maintain the complex scientific instrumentation on the beamline. You will also prepare and install sample environment equipment, sample holders and ancillary equipment. You will ensure that all work on the beamline and support workshop is carried out in a safe manner.
If you have an interest in science and are interested in a diverse and challenging role in a highly technical environment with the opportunity to enhance and develop your skills, this role is for you.
Tasks at the beamline include:
- As part of the beamline team and in collaboration with engineering support groups, perform beamline installations and maintenance work especially when handling vacuum components, complex mechanical parts and delicate optics.
- Assembly and maintenance of beamline (bespoke) equipment.
- Responsible for the beamline specific workshop and equipment pool.
- Participate in the development, design and manufacturing of mechanical parts for the beamline end station.
- Assembly, maintenance, and installation of sample environment and sample holders.
Technical degree, engineering.
Additional requirements are considered assets:
- Experience with high vacuum equipment.
- Experience with workshop tools and safety considerations.
- Knowledgeable with 3D-CAD/CAM software (we use SolidWorks) and preparation of simple engineering drawings.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, mechanical design, machining, motion control systems, specialist gas handling.
- Good communication skills and good command of written and spoken English.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Ability to complete tasks autonomously and at your own initiative.
- Python programming.
- Worked as an technician at a large scale facility.
- Ability to carry out intricate mechanical and electrical assembly, including soldering.
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments for diagnostics.
Candidates must be able to work flexibly when there are high-workload deadlines.
Probation period may apply.
On call services may apply in the future.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click on the red apply button above.
|Type of employment
|First day of employment
||As per agreement
|Number of positions
- Ann Terry, +46703264498
- Kajsa Sigfridsson Clauss, +46733350724
- OFR/S:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62, email@example.com
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds , 046-222 93 64, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEKO: Seko Civil, 046-222 93 66
|Last application date
||14.Apr.2020 11:59 PM CET