The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
You will play a major role in the operation and further development of the BM05 beamline as well as in the other activities of the Structure of Material group.
The Instrumentation Facility BM05 is a 2-pole wiggler beamline equipped with experimental stations to perform X-ray tomography, topography, diffraction and reflectometry and wavefront metrology. Beams of decimeter to micrometer sizes and energies from 6 keV to 150 keV are available for industrial use and for developing the instrumentation of the future.
As a beamline scientist, your missions will be the following:
- Lead and be responsible for the overall direction of beamline activities in consultation with the head of the Structure of Materials group,
- Improve the facilities and the performance of the instruments impacted by the current update of the ESRF source, including their alignment and commissioning,
- Supervise all staff directly assigned to the beamline, manage the budget; ensure reporting,
- Organize the user operation of the beamlines; contribute to the support of users,
- Develop your own research programme,
- Keep up to date on technical/scientific evolutions in the relevant fields of expertise.
Further information may be obtained from Veijo Honkimäki (tel.:+33 (0)4 76 88-2725, email: email@example.com
) or Harald Reichert (tel.:- 2171, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD. in a relevant scientific discipline, 3 - 6 years of postdoctoral experience,
- Solid experience in synchrotron X-ray instrumentation,
- Demonstrated capacity of innovation will be an asset,
- Expertise in handling large data volumes (programming skills in Python),
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills; ability to multi-task and to prioritise commitments according to deadlines/milestones,
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work in diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Proficiency in English
The annual gross salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility. The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
*Appointments are for a fixed period of up to 5 years. However, applicants with outstanding credentials may be considered for a permanent appointment.