Applied Physicist Trigger Data Acquisition
You will be working on the trigger and data acquisition system of the CMS experiment.
In particular your work will entail:
- Implementation of improvements, maintenance and operation of the Global Muon Trigger for the upcoming run-3.
- Contribute to the development of the Level-1 trigger for CMS Phase-2, including system aspects, implementation of firmware for high level algorithms and construction of prototypes.
- Contribute to the overall development and operation of the CMS trigger and data acquisition system.
- Supervise and/or coordinate the work of students and other contributors.
Qualifications Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of physics or a related field.
- Extensive experience in development and operation of trigger and data acquisition for particle physics experiments, in particular with:
- system design of trigger systems, taking into account physics objectives.
- software development for configuration, control and monitoring of data acquisition systems.
- providing expert support for operation of the experiment.
- Demonstrated experience with firmware development for advanced FPGAs.
- Demonstrated experience of firmware and software development in a collaborative environment.
- Initial experience in supervising students and coordinating activities in a distributed collaboration.
- Simulation, design and development of trigger, data acquisition chains.
- Design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics: VHDL.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: advanced level of C++, scripting languages.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: including integration, build and test.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software.
- English: proficient level / excellent command in spoken and written. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- French: elementary level or willingness to acquire it.
Eligibility, Employment Conditions and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled on the 16.12.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.