As an acoustics and non-ionising radiation expert in the Process Engineering & General Safety Services Section of the HSE-OHS Group, you will take up the role of CERN specialist in these domains by joining a multi-disciplinary team of safety experts, covering all technical domains.
The job covers aspects such as: electromagnetic fields from distribution networks, electromagnetic interference between electronic equipment (EMC), radio frequencies from transmitters and accelerating equipment, non-coherent and laser optical sources and acoustic hazards from industrial processes and equipment (compressors, turbines, etc) respectively.
- Perform and/or validate acoustic studies and measurements on equipment to be installed on CERN's premises and propose suitable noise and vibration mitigation measures when needed.
- Perform and/or validate studies related to NIR and perform related measurements.
- Provide advice on laser safety, also inspecting CERN's laser installations.
- Provide support in safety audits, technical reviews and projects.
- Check the conformity to safety requirements of engineering and tendering specifications.
- Design and deliver safety training related to the domains in question.
- Write CERN's safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
- Knowledge of acoustics hazards and protection: including modelling emission and propagation of acoustic waves in order to predict noise distribution.
- Knowledge of non-ionization radiations hazards and protection: deep knowledge of the European standards for NIR design and risk assessment and of relevant IEC standards.
- Occupational safety and risk management: equipment risk analysis - demonstrated risk analysis skills in NIR, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Knowledge of acoustics hazards and protection: practical knowledge of software packages for acoustic analysis and simulations.
- Use of Office software packages: knowledge of software for acoustic analysis and simulations - ability to assess the conformity of facilities with applicable safety standards.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining ,and assessing problems; taking action to address them.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions; presenting information accurately and objectively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.