Applied Physicist (Alignment Systems)
You will be working on the alignment system of the ATLAS experiment, managing its several thousands of optical sensors which are measuring in real time the positions of muon chambers relative to each other as well as to calibrated reference objects. You will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of this system and, in close collaboration with the ATLAS Muon project leader, you will:
- Play a leading role in the operation of the alignment system.
- Define the maintenance plan of the system, including repair and replacement of broken sensors, and ensure that adequate resources and support as well as spare parts are available.
- Lead the effort to provide regular updates of the alignment constants to the ATLAS Combined Performance Group for offline event reconstruction.
- Train the next generation of experimental particle physicists in the operation of the ATLAS alignment system and in its data analysis.
In addition you will play a leading role in the ATLAS technical review and follow-up of the detector systems for the High-Luminosity LHC upgrade.
In close collaboration with the Upgrade Coordinator and the Technical Coordinator of ATLAS you will:
- Participate and chair reviews of the detector and mechanical systems foreseen for the ATLAS upgrades.
- Organise these reviews and summarise their outcomes in reports.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of applied physics or a related field.
- Proven in-depth experience with alignment systems of large particle detectors.
- Extensive experience with hardware and software of optical alignment systems: sensor operation principle, sensor calibration, sensor readout, sensor data acquisition systems.
- Experience with alignment reconstruction software, sensor-based and track-based alignment procedures.
- Proven experience in reviewing technical and schedule aspects of large projects in particle physics experiments.
- Experience in leading and managing a team in matrix organisation.
- Experience with the ATLAS muon spectrometer alignment system would be an asset.
- Simulation, design and development of optical systems: in particular optical alignment sensors.
- Simulation, design and development of physics experiments, in particular optical alignment systems.
- Analysis and optimization of detector performance.
- Assembly and integration of detectors.
- Assembly and integration of infrastructure for detectors or experimental facilities.
- Operation of particle physics experiments.
This vacancy will be filled on the 05.01.2020
Please visit our website for more information about Eligibility and Employment Conditions.