ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
Summary of the role
ECMWF will be part of the new Horizon 2020 project LEXIS, which will explore the integration of high-performance computing (HPC) with user-driven workflows on Cloud systems for numerical weather prediction (NWP). ECMWF’s role in LEXIS focuses on the development and provisioning of data services for cloud-based data analytics of weather-related applications. This will comprise serving of ECMWF’s datasets (such as the operational NWP forecasts) and access to other LEXIS partners datasets (including ‘in-situ’ weather observations from mobile phone providers).
This new position sits in the Development Section of the Forecast Department and it will further strengthen the activities of post-processing and high-throughput data delivery, with a special focus on the interaction and convergence of HPC with Cloud systems. The Analyst will work within the Scalability Team to support the evolution of existing services, but also to explore and set-up the provision of meteorological data through new cloud services.
The successful candidate will investigate data handling strategies for the provisioning of unconventional ‘in-situ’ weather observations (sourced from mobile devices) in LEXIS’s Weather and Climate Data API. He or she will also contribute to the development of the software infrastructure and system deployment for the successful acquisition and pre-processing of this new type of observations.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Interacting with the internal and external project team and supporting the deliverables of the LEXIS project, as well as with other stakeholders at ECMWF
- Contributing to the development and software maintenance of distributed computing and data services at ECMWF, in particular those deployed in support of Cloud-based user-driven workflows
- Ensuring the quality of the above services and also planning for their evolution with the Scalability Team and providing third-line support to their users
- Contributing to ECMWF tasks and deliverables within the Scalability Programme and related projects
- Excellent problem-solving skills with a proactive approach, together with an interest in identifying, investigating and solving technical problems
- Interest in exploring the technical viability and relevance of new technologies for ECMWF
- Dedication and enthusiasm to work in a small team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, listening to and respecting the views of others
- Ability to work under pressure
Qualifications and experience required
A university degree, or equivalent, in a discipline related to computer science, physics, mathematics or engineering is required. A PhD is desirable but not essential.
- Good demonstrated experience in developing and optimising applications in distributed computing environments (e.g. HPC and/or Cloud).
- Experience in deploying software in HPC and/or Cloud environments.
- Good experience developing with C/C++ and/or Python.
- Experience in processing and managing large spatial data sets would be an advantage.
- Experience with developing and maintaining large scientific codes would be an advantage.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
- Very good knowledge of object-oriented programming developing with C/C++/Python.
- Good knowledge of UNIX, experience developing software for UNIX systems (and/or Linux) and the use of system calls is essential.
- Good understanding of computer science concepts (efficient algorithms and data structures) is required.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
- A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Coordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Until 30 June 2021.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking apply below.
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co-operating States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases