QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
QinetiQ is a leading provider of radiated acoustic noise signature measurement and knowledge to the Royal Navy (RN) in the drive to make their ships and submarines quieter and, hence, harder to detect by passive sonar.
Our Maritime business area carries out specialised trials and evaluations to help us develop a diverse range of systems across various environments.
Right now, we’re looking for Acoustic Signature Analysts to help us measure, interpret, analyse and report on underwater radiated noise. Joining the acoustic signature team, currently based in Glasgow, with a trials site at Loch Goil in Scotland,and Winfrith in Dorset, analysts are engaged in the measurement, interpretation, analysis and reporting of underwater radiated noise.
Job description/Person specification
The Acoustic Signature Analyst (ASA) team are at the fore-front of this applied science and engineering discipline and are primarily engaged in underwater radiated noise measurements, analysis, interpretation, reporting and knowledge transfer. This, combined with on-board noise and vibration analysis, allows the identification of the specific characteristics of the platforms that contribute to platform vulnerability through to detection by threat sonar.
The primary part of the role is to undertake and support activities associated with acoustic rangings, both on shore and on board ships and submarines, conducted by QinetiQ on behalf of the MOD on sites across the UK. A ranging is a trial in which Acoustics data from a naval vessel is measured, analysed and reported.
A background in a scientific or engineering discipline is desirable, with an aptitude for and a methodical approach to analysis considered essential. In addition, it would be advantageous to have an interest in ships and submarines and their associated systems, or a background in acoustics or signal processing. Experience of report writing is important.
As a committed team player, you will have strong communication skills with the ability to liaise with customers. Adaptable and flexible, you will be willing to travel between the Acoustic Ranges to carry out your role. The level of entry is negotiable dependent on competence and skills.
The successful applicant will need to meet strict security clearance criteria, including UK residency, prior to appointment.
This role will be accountable to the relevant Acoustics Team Leader with the main responsibilities of:
• Participating in various noise ranging and non-ranging projects, across the majority of ships and submarines, and facilities, working with other analysts and team leads to ensure delivery of associated customer deliverables and reports. This includes:
o Ranging involvement in a variety of capacities both onboard and shoreside
o Data analysis
o Report writing
o Ensuring compliance with all Health and Safety and Environmental requirements and trials planning documentation.
• Showing committed flexibility to the increased demands of the Royal Navy and assist in the production of highly focussed deliverables to a high technical standard in order to provide an operational advantage
• Assist in meeting the increased demands of the RN and MoD customers from both a technical analysis and reporting perspective and also from their operational and flexibility requirements
• Subject to experience, promoting team working and knowledge transfer within the ASA community and wider radiated noise ranging community
• Assist in meeting and exceeding the expectations of our Customers and increasing the value of the noise ranging team to QinetiQ.
Successful outcomes of this role including meeting the required milestones for customer deliverables to include trials delivery and analysis and reporting outputs to customers.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training
• Degree in appropriate subject such as Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electronics or Electrical Engineering
• Other qualification in a relevant subject with 2 years direct experience.
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Skills
• Aptitude for analytical work with ability to focus for extended periods
• IT literate to a good degree of competency across multiple software packages and networks
• Experience of producing high quality reports.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Characteristics
• Adopts and follows the behaviours expected within QinetiQ at all times
• Self-motivated, diligent and enthusiastic to tackle new and difficult tasks
• Committed to the team and looks beyond individual needs
• Flexible approach including ability to change working patterns and locations
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• A can-do, will-do attitude whilst remaining within the bounds of a safe-system of work
• Ability to undertake boat transfers.
• Previous experience in acoustics and / or noise ranging or a related discipline
• Awareness and understanding of complex ships systems
• Demonstrably competent and qualified in analysis, interpretation and reporting of analytical data types
• Knowledge of acoustic measurement, equipment and analysis
• Knowledge of sonar, the Royal Navy and Royal Navy vessels.