Salisbury, South West
About the job
Physical Sciences Group (PSG) is looking for a scientifically talented and knowledgeable individual with a solid understanding of mathematics and/or physics, with some experience of acoustics, fluid dynamics or a related area, an enthusiasm for both research and real world applications, and an interest in problem solving, to work on a diverse and technically demanding programme of work to deliver acoustic capability in the Underwater Battlespace for UK Defence and its international partners.
The Acoustics Modeller will use their knowledge and experience to work closely with industry, academia, and international partners to design, develop, test and demonstrate mathematical or physical models, signal processing schemes, and algorithms, for passive and active sonar solutions and acoustic signature control solutions, to maintain UK advantage for the detection, classification, localisation, and tracking of mobile and static underwater targets, such as submarines and mines, and unfettered operation in the underwater environment.
This work has a high impact on MOD decision making for current and future Royal Navy platforms during a time of accelerated development of underwater science and technology
and demands a commitment and willingness to learn new skills and knowledge and a strong desire to apply this learning for the benefit of defence and security.
We are looking for someone who has;
• Solid understanding of mathematics and/or physics.
• Some experience in acoustics, fluid dynamics, or a related area.
• A strong interest in working on underwater acoustics and related underwater system technologies and a willingness to learn.
• A strong interest in developing their knowledge of RN platforms, sonar, and technologies.
• Experience of model development.
• Experience of programming in programming language such as Python, Matlab or similar.
• Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work with external research suppliers in industry and academia and with international partners.
• Self motivated and demonstrated ability to work under own initiative.
For full details please see the attached role profile.
Degree or equivalent experience in physics or Mathematics
Experience of Research & Development.
PhD or higher degree preferred but experience in industry/academia also welcomed.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Candidates in their probationary period are not eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Dstl HR Recruitment, email@example.com
01980 950000 option 4
Sift/interview dates and location
Please note that Dstl will be contacting candidates via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.