GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (F
acility for A
ntiproton and I
esearch), one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed each day to enabling world-class science.
The department “System Design”
within the subproject “SIS100/SIS18” is responsible for design and development as well as control of the heavy ion synchrotrons in the GSI and FAIR facilities. For this department we are seeking as early as possible an
Accelerator Physicist with Experience at Circular Accelerators (m/f/d)
Posting ID: 6330-19.80
In this position, you will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to development and optimization of the two synchrotrons SIS18 and SIS100.
Qualifications and Skills
- Perform beam dynamics simulations aimed at design and development, optimization of operation, and the provision of data for the control of the synchrotrons.
- Plan, execute, and analyse machine experiments with the goal of optimizing the operation of the synchrotrons by improving the machine models used to control them, especially regarding the minimization of losses when operating the machines at highest intensities.
- Develop and test algorithms for software-assisted measurement and feedback systems for beam-based monitoring, adjustment, and optimization of the synchrotrons.
- Support sustained operation of the synchrotrons by participating in on-call duty.
- PhD in physics or a related field.
- Considerable knowledge in accelerator physics and years of demonstrated experience with simulation and operation of circular accelerators.
- Ideally, experience with ion optical simulation of non-linear effects in transverse beam dynamics, especially with regard to design and optimization of third order resonant slow extraction.
- Ideally, practical experience with operation of space charge dominated circular accelerators, in particular with respect to minimization of beam loss.
- Ideally, proficiency in a prevalent object-oriented programming language (e.g. C++ or Java) and experience with development of software for controlling accelerators.
- Structured and organized way of working with the goal of achieving results, as well as ability to advance projects constructively in a team.
- Business fluent English, very good command of German, and the ability to prepare technical and scientific documents in both languages.
We offer you a diversified and challenging job as part of an experienced project team in our internationally renowned research institute. More information about FAIR and GSI is available at www.gsi.de
The position is initially limited to a duration of 5 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
If you consider the described scope of duties a personal challenge and are interested to work in an exciting international environment with a strong technical orientation, please send your complete application documents, including your salary expectations as well as information about the earliest possible starting date, while mentioning the posting-ID
, at the latest until 9 August 2019
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org