As an operator, you will:
- Be part of the 24/7 shift team which runs CERN's accelerator complex.
- Oversee the operation of one of our accelerators and the beam lines to the associated experimental facilities on a shift basis, ensuring the application of safety rules.
- Work closely with accelerator physicists to setup and optimize the accelerator operation.
- Outside periods of shifts, and after a training period, you will participate in software or hardware related development and maintenance for one or more of the accelerators in the complex, either under the supervision of an engineer or physicist within the OP group or within the framework of a specialized equipment group in the department.
- Outside periods of accelerator operation, assist the technical infrastructure team with the operation of CERN's technical infrastructure, if required.
Higher technical diploma in the field of physics, computing, electronics, electricity or electro-mechanics, or equivalent. or a related field.
- Initial work experience in a technical or scientific environment.
- Experience in the field of physics, computing, electronics, electricity or electro-mechanics.
- The following would be an advantage:
- Experience in the field of software engineering in a modern development language environment (e.g. JAVA and/or Python).
- Experience in the field of operating large facilities and their associated hardware (e.g. measurement devices, power converter techniques, vacuum equipment, PLCs, work in controlled radiation areas, etc.).
- Operation of accelerators.
- Analysis and optimization of accelerator performance.
- Operation and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: knowledge of Java and/or Python would be an asset.
- Solving problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages. A willingness to learn the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.04.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-OP-2020-41-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Accelerator/Industrial Process Operations Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further