Join the European XFEL
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
The European XFEL generates photon beams in the X-ray energy range, with a so far unrivalled brilliance, making high demands on the detector systems. We have established an international collaboration with the goal to develop high speed 2D imaging detectors for our scientific experiments
We are looking for a
Detector Support Scientist – Coordinator (f/m)
- be responsible for coordination, planning and preparation of the groups user support activities
- be responsible for supporting and consulting beam line users on detector related issues during user operation of XFEL
- be responsible for and take care about the daily reliable operation of detector systems at the scientific instruments
- support performance testing and maintenance of detectors in use at the XFEL photon beam lines
- support the detector group to maintain and calibrate photon and particle detectors for the XFEL scientific instrument
- participate in scientific experiments
- PhD or MSc in physics, engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- experience in operation and maintenance of advanced silicon X-ray and/or particle detectors
- knowledge of the physics of detectors for light sources
- beam line experience at a light source is considered as an asset
- experience planning of support activities, user beam times and/or coordination of a small team is an asset
- knowledge about detector front-end electronics, cooling systems and of a programming language like C++ or Python is an asset
- experience in working independently, as well as in a team
- very good communication skills and ability to work in a structured way in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team
For additional information, please contact Markus Kuster (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance. Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
Duration: This appointment is limited to 3 years.
Application: Please apply online here and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
European XFEL GmbH
Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld, Germany